Eligibility for Military Tax Benefits

You must be serving or have served in one of the following organizations to be eligible for military tax benefits. For specific information on benefits, go to the Military home page.

United States Armed Forces
If you are an active duty or reserve member of an armed force listed below, you may be eligible for military tax benefits. Recently retired or separated members may also be eligible for benefits.

United States Army (including Army Reserve and Army National Guard)
United States Navy (including Navy Reserve)
United States Air Force (including Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard)
United States Marine Corps (including Marine Corps Reserve)
United States Coast Guard (including Coast Guard Reserve)
Uniformed Services of the United States
If you are a member of either organization solely categorized as a uniformed service, you are eligible for the same benefits as the armed forces.

United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officer Corps
Note. The United States has seven uniformed services, including the five armed forces and two organizations listed above.

Support Organizations
If you are a member of an organization directly supporting military operations and working in a combat zone, you may be eligible for a tax extension.

Civilian Employees
Red Cross Members